Vault 16

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

TheMr2fast
Neutral

Vault 16

Post by TheMr2fast »

Hi! First off, this is one of the greatest mods I've ever played, hands down. You guys are awesome.

I'm kind of stuck in Vault 16 3rd floor: i've joined the Hunters but I can't seem to find a way to access the elevator shaft. I can activate it but it doesn't do anything (my character does the animation and nothing else happens). I've tried a rope but it doesn't work either. Am I missing something really simple here? I've also repaired the generator if that has anything to do with it (which it shouldn't)

Thank you!
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Re: Vault 16

Post by Daemon »

Hi! You can't get up through the elevator shaft. There's no reason to. The rope doesn't do anything because it can't help you with climbing up.
TheMr2fast
Neutral

Post by TheMr2fast »

I'm assuming, based on the other entries in the forum, that i'm locked out of accessing the vault by other means, then? That's actually neat, making me accountable for my choice. I love it!
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

TheMr2fast wrote:I'm assuming, based on the other entries in the forum, that i'm locked out of accessing the vault by other means, then? That's actually neat, making me accountable for my choice. I love it!
You can force your way into the vault from the imperial palace but you really can't get to the first two floors of the vault as a Mutant Hunter without making the whole empire hostile towards you.
Raduziel
Neutral

Post by Raduziel »

Hi, sorry for hijacking this thread, but I never got the call from the new emperor to solve the Vault 16 issue. I'm not sided with the Mutant Hunters (in fact, they are shooting me in sight because I kind of killed their leader). Is it normal? Almost a month passed by since the new emperor (sided with Anonym) started to rule.

In this meantime, I did PROGEMA (awesome, by the way) and a large portion of the Rebirth Base. Lots of trips through the Wasteland and nothing.

Thanks!

PS: I killed every Mutant Hunter, including those on the floor with the elevator shaft, but they keep respawning on the city, ambushing me all the time. As a suggestion, this respawn should be removed.

Edit: As instructed by the new ruler I did connect my Pip-Boy with the terminal.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

By killing Mutant Hunters in their base and all their leaders, you made it easier for the Empire to take over the vault, so they don't need you. I think that sounds like a good in-game explanation :-)
Thing is, by killing Mutant Hunters in the lower floor of their base, you also killed commander Tulsa who playes the role in that questline. There's no Hunter commander with whom can Aran negotiate about the vault since you killed them all.
Raduziel
Neutral

Post by Raduziel »

That makes sense, but what about the aliens? And if I swapped the Mutant Hunters in a way that they doesn't pose a treat to the empire, shouldn't they stop respawning?

Just a suggestion :)

Thanks for replying!
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

I think a problem of that idea (cancelling the respawn) could be that story-wise the Mutant-Hunters can't disappear from AQ as long as the Ghouls are out there. Otherwise the city of Albuquerque would get overrun by the Rebirth. In the last battles against the Ghouls Albuquerque almost lost despite Imperial Army and Mutant-Hunters fighting together. That's also the main reason why the Imperial Army tolerates the Hunters in the first place: they need their strength. I think only the other way round it's less dependant: all the Hunters need is the Vault and its technology.
But still, as far as I know, the whole inner conflict of AQ does not escalate as long as there is a common enemy. There is some infighting, but towards the outside world they must stand united. If you can “remove” the Mutant-Hunters, before ending the game (aka destroying the Rebirth base), the whole city should fall fairly quickly and would have to be replaced by a ruin. Perhaps with only Imperial City still standing, locked behind their secondary walls and turrets, and they won't let anyone in, including the player, while slowly starving to death. So, rather than cancelling the respawn it may need to replace all three maps with a “ruined version, littered with slain citizens” once the Mutant Hunters have been destroyed. Possibly with ghouls hanging around, and the Imperial City part being under siege (aka inaccessible).
I think that would be a cool scenario (“causing the downfall of AQ”), especially as a player may end up fighting Sebastian (when resisting arrest). But it's probably too much work. Especially as the endings (AQ and joining Rebirth) and Lystra would need an overhaul, too.

2 days later:
it occurred to me that it doesn't necessary make sense that one guy (the player) can wipe out an entire organization that an army of ghouls couldn't. So perhaps the “respawn” are “returning patrol groups” :), i.e. the organization is simply too vast to be taken out. I think the scenario above is still cool, but being unable to wipe out the Hunters is plausible, too.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

Muttie wrote:it occurred to me that it doesn't necessary make sense that one guy (the player) can wipe out an entire organization that an army of ghouls couldn't. So perhaps the “respawn” are “returning patrol groups” :), i.e. the organization is simply too vast to be taken out.
That's exactly it :-) Same with the Rebirth. You need to destroy their base with the Rebirth machine in order to really end the whole organization. Remaining ghouls than have no reason to continue.