Alien Blaster or Gatling Laser?

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

Dr_Nomz
Accepted

Alien Blaster or Gatling Laser?

Post by Dr_Nomz »

I have a really low skill with energy weapons and that's not likely to change, but I also have Lystra as my companion, so which one should she use? She has power armor BTW.

Also is the Gatling Laser listed under energy weapons skill or Heavy Weapons? (Just asking here in case the mod changed something)
Muttie
Idolized

Re: Alien Blaster or Gatling Laser?

Post by Muttie »

I'm pretty sure the Gatling Laser still counts as an Energy Weapon.

I would say the Alien Blaster is better. Gatling Laser has to face higher resistances (as it's laser, while the blaster is electrical) and needs to land most of its hits to count.
Plus, Lystra can fire the Alien Blaster twice per turn, that should put it ahead.
Dr_Nomz
Accepted

Post by Dr_Nomz »

Oh yeah because of it's low AP, right.

Okay thanks!
KL1
Accepted

Post by KL1 »

I would actually recommend the YK32 Pulse Pistol over the Alien blaster for Lystra. Mainly for it's 'Penetrate' perk that cancels 80% of the DT of the target. They both are 'Electric' damage and cost 4 APs to fire. The Alien Blaster has the 'Accurate' perk, but it's not really needed since Energy weapons are her primary skill so she must have +100% skill in it already. The YK32 also as 15 range, which sometimes can be critical since the Alient Blaster has only 10 range.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

According to my calculations the Penetrate ability of the Pulse Pistol does not compensate for the higher damage of the Alien Blaster. The Alien Blaster should still do more damage in average.
The range is a drawback though.
KL1
Accepted

Post by KL1 »

Checked your files and it's close when it's vs Power Armor, but yeah the Alien Blaster should theoretically cause more damage on average.

The thing is, since the difference between it's min and max damage values is very large (30 to 90 - that's 200% gap) I'm not sure if using the average in that case would reflect the true reality of using it in combat. What I mean is, the below average range of damage is too big that the real damage might fall in that range more often compared to the YK32 (with damage range of 32-46 and ~40% gap only).

I might actually test this in my game with a fast shot character (so no critical much). If only I can find the Alien Blaster :D
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

I'm not a math expert (humpty-dumpty, dumpty-dum :P), but I believe average is average.

The only significant difference should be comparing a single roll (anything goes) with a number of rolls (evens out eventually).

In most cases the damage of the Blaster should be around 60. That's the number I've calculated the damage with (30+90)/2. Which is also a bit above the max damage of the Pulse Pistol (46). The number I used for the Pulse Pistol is 39. (32+46)/2. Not sure if the wider span matters much (?), especially as the minimum is for both weapons rather similar (30).

Also you can adjust the numbers in the formula and test a little. I did that and it seems as if the Alien Blaster does OK compared to the Pulse Pistol as long as it stays above 40 points of damage (roughly). So only 10 to 16 out of 60 possible numbers will start to underperform, that's 16% to 25%, so roughly 1 out of 6 or 1 out of 4 shots will do worse than the Pulse Pistol (right?). That doesn't seem that bad.

Once it does 49 damage it is equal to the average of the Pulse Pistol. And when it does 51 it starts to do better. So 39 out of 60 possibilities will do better than the Pulse Pistol's average. That's 65%, aka 2 out of 3 or a 3+ on a D6.

Unless I made a mistake (derpy-derp :wink:), I don't think the wider damage span matters that much. And the Alien Blaster should do better.
KL1 wrote:I might actually test this in my game with a fast shot character (so no critical much). If only I can find the Alien Blaster :D
That may be tough. Over a playing-time of about 10 months I had only 3 to 4 special encounters. So roughly 1 every 3 months. The Alien Blaster is more a gimmick/in-game joke. 8)
KL1
Accepted

Post by KL1 »

Once it does 49 damage it is equal to the average of the Pulse Pistol. And when it does 51 it starts to do better.
This right there convinced me. 10 points of damage below the average is enough to measure up to the YK32. Even over a larger spread, it will do more damage accumulative eventually.

You're right, the Alien Blaster is better than the YK32 for Lystra.
If you can find it, that is :D

Cheers
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Regarding averages, and calculations, it's also important to note that it all depends heavily on the opponent's armour.

And on top of that armours in Fallout are very irregular. Most NPCs in Power Armour have lower DT & DR than the player. However, some, especially at the Rebirth Base, have significantly better armour.

So calculating averages is more comparing weapons within a set condition. Which helps with orientation. But in-game you will see variations and differences.
valcik
Betatester

Post by valcik »

Muttie wrote:Regarding averages, and calculations, it's also important to note that it all depends heavily on the opponent's armour.
Also damage type. I think both alien blaster and gatling laser deals laser/heat damage whilst pulse pistol deals electric.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

The Alien Blaster is “electrical” just like the Pulse Pistol.
I checked if FoRes changed that, but it didn't, as far as I can tell.

Otherwise it's a good point. Especially Laser Resistance is much higher than other resistances, rendering “laser” weapons borderline useless. However, it was especially in regard to the Laser Rifle when I noticed the huge variation based on armour. It does well versus low end armour, but is useless versus high end. Then again several NPCs (at least in FO2) have lower laser resistances than the player would have. Making it all a bit vague.

Classic Fallout is not a very transparent game :).

Most times it goes for the realism approach of “you can't know how much damage this will make” or “you can't tell if your sneak attempt fails or not”. Which is kind of fascinating (accepting outcomes as they are), but also frustrating when trying to use mechanics (especially sneak in combat, which is potentially fun but also a lot of try and error).
gustarballs1983
Neutral

Post by gustarballs1983 »

@Muttie

As far as I'm concerned the best energy weapon in the game resides in the hands of one of the ghouls on 6th floor of rebirth and I'm not talking about plasma rifle P-96.

I'm talking ofcourse about often missed by many weapon Gatling Plasma or however it is called it's a minigun that shoots plasma, counts as energy weapons and oneshots any ghoul in rebirth. Warning item inventory picture almost identical to gatling laser[only slightly brighter] (the only difference is that gatling plasma does not stack with other gatling guns [because it is a different item -duh] but looks *almost* identical). best tactic to get it is probably to kill the owner before he manages to attack You, since he'll most probably kill you in one turn. I find it funny that nobody before me mentioned this weapon and i found it on my first playthrough (although i was using burn's global script for carry weght capacity from "burn's Fo2 tweaks" so i hoarded everything along the way,and just noticed it does not stack).
Considering low plasma damage threshold and resistances on standard power armor+ high weapon damage + many bulets per attack deemes Gatling Plasma BiS for energy weapons. one can shoot up to 3 bursts per turn provided high ag proper triats and perks are chosen.

Lystra n power armor should be good to go with it too, although i wouldn't stand in front of her before combat ;p
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Yep, that may be the best one. And extremely deadly as probably experienced by most finishing the game. Can't even Psycho up as it's plasma damage. :)

However, it's end-game. In fact, it's almost beyond end-game as the „ghoul“ carrying it is the end-boss. So it is almost never used in a normal play-through. Perhaps only to blast one's way out of the base before it self-destructs.

However, a decent weapon that can be found late-game is the Plasma Cannon. That's an interesting Energy Weapon. Especially when Enhanced Knockout works as described. A character going for crits may consistently K.O. enemies with it. Plus the weapon does good damage. The AP is high, though, and in comparison the Alien-Blaster should do more damage as it can shot more often per turn, but it''s still a decent gun, and actually the best Energy Weapon one can consistently find before the end-game. Although it's a bit of a toss-up between the Plasma Cannon and the Pulse Pistol.
valcik
Betatester

Post by valcik »

gustarballs1983 wrote:Warning item inventory picture almost identical to gatling laser[only slightly brighter] (the only difference is that gatling plasma does not stack with other gatling guns [because it is a different item -duh] but looks *almost* identical).
There's Gatling Plasma with classy green glowing finnish in F2 modification by Blackened with a separate *.frm file which could be easily replaced:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/38buwvghe ... ckened.rar
Unpack the mod, grab minilazr.frm file, rename it to miniplas.frm, and save it in ..\Resurrection\data\art\inven\ directory. Haven't tested it, hopefully it works..