[cheat] Changing SPECIAL stats with hex editor

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

Ractaros96
Idolized

[cheat] Changing SPECIAL stats with hex editor

Post by Ractaros96 »

I've already posted it in Save Editor topic, but I wanted to make it more visible on the forum. I've found a way of changing SPECIAL stats in hex editor. It'll probably be useful until a compatible version of Save Editor comes out. Having all SPECIAL attributes at 10 is considered cheating, but to me it's just a way of having more fun and possibilities in game, instead of sacrificing one thing for another. So let's get to work, I'll try to explain it as clear as possible:

1. Create new character and save it (if you have any saved characters already, then skip to next point).
2. Download this hex editor: http://www.handshake.de/user/chmaas/del ... /xvi32.zip
2.1. Extract it using WinRAR.
2.2. Run it (XVI32.exe).
3. Open your saved earlier character file (.GCD file). It should be in your game main directory ...\Fallout 2\Resurrection\resdata folder.
4. Now, look at this screenshot:
5. To change those values left-click on one of the marked boxes and go to Tools ---> Bit Manipulation, then a window will pop up.
6. There are 8 boxes marked from 0 to 7, by ticking them you can manipulate value of that SPECIAL stat you chose. Below those 8 boxes there is line showing value in decimal, hex and binary. The first one is the one that interests you.
7. You need to tick boxes marked 3 and 1 ONLY, to get value of 10. You can try with others to set it below 10, if you want.
8. When you're done, hit "Set" button and repeat whole thing for other SPECIAL attributes.
9. Save your character file and exit hex editor.
10. Run game, load your "enchanced" character and enjoy!
Granite
Accepted

Re: [cheat] Changing SPECIAL stats with hex editor

Post by Granite »

I opened up my save.dat file and I can't find any of these fields. How does this work?
NovaRain
Liked

Post by NovaRain »

Granite wrote:I opened up my save.dat file and I can't find any of these fields. How does this work?
3. Open your saved earlier character file (.GCD file). It should be in your game main directory ...\Fallout 2\Resurrection\resdata folder.
This tutorial is for .GCD file you can save/load during character creation, not for save.dat. Although in save.dat your character stats data is stored in pretty much the same way as in GCD file.
http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/GCD_File_Format
http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/SAVE.DAT_File_Format
Ractaros96
Idolized

Post by Ractaros96 »

Granite wrote:I opened up my save.dat file and I can't find any of these fields. How does this work?
Did you read instruction at all? You need to edit your saved CHARACTER file, not savegame. It is in .GCD format, not .dat.
Granite
Accepted

Post by Granite »

I see. So I would have to start again to get my GCD file.
Ractaros96
Idolized

Post by Ractaros96 »

Granite wrote:I see. So I would have to start again to get my GCD file.
Yes. Create new character, save it. Then edit SPECIAL stats in hex editor, load that modified character in creation menu and start new game using this character.
Granite
Accepted

Post by Granite »

No keen on starting again. But thanks.
Feather
Accepted

Post by Feather »

Granite, try this way, you can edit ANY save you have – At least the SPECIAL stats. You just have to take a tiny detail into account:

Check your desired save in game and look at your stats.
Example: SPECIAL 4 5 7 5 5 9 5 translates to the hex line 0000 0004 0000 0005 0000 0007 0000 0005 0000 0005 0000 0009 0000 0005.
If you have the GIFTED trait you have to substract 1 from each! (That might be the reason you couldn't find it.)

Now go to /resurrection/resdata/SAVEGAME/[slot your game is in] and open SAVE.DAT in a hex editor of your choice.

Use search function to look for your hex line and change it to desired values (01-0A)
To be safe make a copy of the file before making changes, in case you mess something up.

Thing is, if you go for an all 10 stats char having Gifted would be kinda pointless. I wouldn't know where to find the segments to manipulate in the SAVE.DAT to change traits. But if it's a Gifted character and you want to mod him anyway for whatever reason, this is what you can do. Hope it helps.

BTW, the opposite of super chars can be interesting(and challenging!) too. But I guess nobody's looking for that here 8)
Granite
Accepted

Post by Granite »

All i'm looking to do is increase my luck by a single point, so I can get toughness. Thanks feather, ill try it.
Feather
Accepted

Post by Feather »

You can also get a free point of luck from the tribal shaman (with good karma, I think?).