Children of the Cathedral robe?

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

Daemon
Resurrection team member

Re: Children of the Cathedral robe?

Post by Daemon »

According what you were writing before, you have chosen aggresive response in dialog with Marry. Haven't you?
Yes, upload your save anyway, perhaps I can see what exactly happened from it.
stamstamstam
Accepted

Post by stamstamstam »

- No, I get killed if I try confronting them, it's a different save
- The only explanation now is that I joined the Mutants Hunters after getting rejected by Aran for a fishy reason.

Here's the file.
http://wikisend.com/download/578374/SLOT04.rar
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

When I enter the Camp from your save, I see Marry and another supermutant standing in different places than there're in the beginning. They clearly moved in the combat before, you had to left the location while in the combat before. And Marry himself is hostile towars you, so you most likely said him aggressive response, which led to combat.
stamstamstam
Accepted

Post by stamstamstam »

Then it's a bug, I tried attacking them ONCE, died and reloaded the save.

Does that mean I have to start all over again? No alternative?
No way I get past those mutants.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

I doubt it transfers between saves on itself. More likely you have saved by mistake.
When you have made them hostile, then there's really no other option.

I was curious, so I tried it myself and its perfectly doable. Of course for price of lot of stimpaks and dead Keri. I used drugs, but maybe psycho would be enough and taking buffout was unnecessary. I started combat right after entering the map with "A" key and hid behind guard shack in order to lure supermutants to me while shooting aim shots at them. When more supermutants got to me, I was using them as cover, they often hit other supermutants with you that way. Here's the result - http://wikisend.com/download/128200/SLOT18.zip - There're still some supermutants alive, but main force was killed inlucing their leader Dernus. I didn't loot bodies yet. I wasn't trying that much, it can be done better for sure. But I think Keri is doomed either way. Better leave her somewhere or at least give her some small gun she can handle (she has ST 6), so she can be more useful before she dies.
stamstamstam
Accepted

Post by stamstamstam »

Thanks a lot for that, poor Keri had a rough day.
I'm 100% sure I never provoked Marry then leave the place. I just never do that.
That's too bad because I wanted you to check why Marry wouldn't let me go in even with the robe.

Any chance the Mutants are attacking me on sight because I'm part of the Mutants Hunters? (karma)
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

stamstamstam wrote:Any chance the Mutants are attacking me on sight because I'm part of the Mutants Hunters? (karma)
No, they can't know that you're Mutant Hunter unless you tell them so.
DarthVenis
Neutral

Post by DarthVenis »

Sorry if this is a bit offtopic, but I actually found a way to kill all the supermutants without losing any party members. Might help if you can't do it peacefully. It's simple: I had Lystra and Keri in my party, and first of all, we went around the base to the upperleft corner of the map, where I ordered both companions to wait (we did it before even talking to Marry for the first time, but if the muties are already hostille, one might try leaving the party before passing the guard post, and sneak around alone. The main goal is to reach the pile of tires (about 4 of them), stacked just next to the acid river surrounding the base.It is to the left from the bridge along the river, then to the right and up). Then, if you stand behind this pile of tires (literally atop of it), you become invisible to the muties. So i step 1 square to the left, shoot the nearest mutant, and even if I miss, they get hostile and come all running to the spot which is vertically below me but on the other side of the river. Either it's a bug, or they are just plain stupid, but none of them tries to cross the bridge, go around and put those tires up my ass, they just gather at one spot and are unable to move anywhere. The main idea is to always get back behind the tires before the end of each turn (you will see that mutants' outlines became yellow, so neither you can hit them, nor they can hit you. Then end turn, one square left, shoot the nearest one, one square back behind the tires. And so on. I used the saw-off sniper rifle, so I guess it will be te same if to use a regular one. After I killed them all, and left turret as well, I lured the rest of them from the left side of the shore to the same spot and killed, then went up, around and down the perimeter and finished off the last mutie and the right turret from behind the acid barrell just across the river from them. Either I was too far, or it was a bug, but they didn't shoot back. And that's all. The lower level didn't pose a problem, there's only 4 of them and their aiming sucks:-)
RiC_David
Neutral

Post by RiC_David »

I'm posting this in case anybody else finds themselves in my now resolved situation:

I too thought that I didn't have the necessary dialogue option to gain entry while wearing the robe (yes, patronising responder, we had actually thought of wearing it) but now I find that it was there all along, here's where the confusion was:

After claiming to be a Child of the Cathedral, Marry will say something to the effect (I don't have verbatim quotes so I won't get the garbled dialogue spot on) of "Can't let anyone in [something about the Master and none of them getting in]"

The only two options are, in reverse order
2) I'll leave it then (again, not an actual quote - I don't feel like grabbing screenshots right now, I'm itching to just play after searching for solutions for so long
1) [Something aggressive] Get out of my way!

I hadn't chosen option 1 when I'd seen it because I'd wrongly assumed that it would initiate combat as it sounds exactly like other dialogue options that would do that. In most conversations there's an option to the effect of "To hell with this, I'll just kill you" and as I was trying everything to avoid combat I avoided this option.

It turns out THAT is what you need to say, while disguised in the robe, for Marry to move out of the way. This thread went off the rails when it became about whether the OP had saved after initiating combat etc. etc. - what was never resolved was why s/he couldn't find the dialogue option and I believe this is the reasons why. We can't be the only ones so hopefully this will help others.

As for the method involving complimenting Marry (that's what I've seen every youtuber do), I tried pouring 17 skill points into Speech, taking the Smooth Talker perk, and boosing it with Mentats and at 62% (including the Smooth Talker invisible 10% bonus) it still didn't show up. Fortunately I did this just as an experiment and have reloaded the save before I spent my level up stats so it wasn't wasted, just know that you'll need a high speech skill - you can't just blag it like in the original games.