Unobtainable Viable Weapons

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

ddguy71
Accepted

Unobtainable Viable Weapons

Post by ddguy71 »

Given the current state of the game, it discourages people from picking any weapon skill other than energy weapons, which limits replayability and makes the game less fun.

Could you please add SAW or Light Support Weapon, and Anti-Materiel Rifle to shopping lists in Albuquerque, or place them inside Progema Facility?
Or maybe you could simly buff the minigun or sniper rifle or their ammo.
Laser/plasma rifle in empire's quartermaster's stock or as a quest reward from the Empire would be most welcome as well.

Also please decrease the number of ghouls in ghoul patrols to 5 and the max number of power-armored ghouls in them to 2.
Having to reload every time I encounter them is not fun.
Or maybe I'm just that shitty at this game.
sultangurde
Accepted

Re: Unobtainable Viable Weapons

Post by sultangurde »

ddguy71 wrote:Given the current state of the game, it discourages people from picking any weapon skill other than energy weapons, which limits replayability and makes the game less fun.

Could you please add SAW or Light Support Weapon, and Anti-Materiel Rifle to shopping lists in Albuquerque, or place them inside Progema Facility?
Or maybe you could simly buff the minigun or sniper rifle or their ammo.
Laser/plasma rifle in empire's quartermaster's stock or as a quest reward from the Empire would be most welcome as well.

Also please decrease the number of ghouls in ghoul patrols to 5 and the max number of power-armored ghouls in them to 2.
Having to reload every time I encounter them is not fun.
Or maybe I'm just that shitty at this game.
1. SAW, along with combat armor, is a reward for joining Muntant Hunters.
2. The only dissapointment was no bozar :(
3. I believe standard minigun ammo (blue one) is currently bugged.
4. Plasma rifles are in Rebirth Base, also Turbo Plasma which is my favourite.
5. Ghul patrols are seriously OP :)
6. I got antimater rifle also from killed enemy, too bad cant remember the details. Dont like it personally, because you need 7 STR to use properly.
stamstamstam
Accepted

Post by stamstamstam »

I guess the player is not meant to survive Ghoul Patrols, at least not that easily.
I think I got an anti-matter rifle from a Ghoul Patrol. (very powerful against PA)
Ja1337
Accepted

Post by Ja1337 »

You can get AntiMaterial Rifle also from lockipicking one of the lockers in 3rd floor of Vault 16.
Guard next to Master chair is wearing SAW
ddguy71
Accepted

Post by ddguy71 »

All right I discovered how to get a laser rifle early in Sedit.

Go to the Lost Town and get down the hatch in one of the houses in top-right quarter, then walk carefully through the corridor avoiding mines.
Open the door and let yourself be taken to the Raiders' leader, then join them for an ambush run.
The caravan the're attacking is being attacked by ghouls - one of the powered armored ones has a laser rifle and 30 ammo for it.
Ractaros96
Idolized

Post by Ractaros96 »

ddguy71 wrote:All right I discovered how to get a laser rifle early in Sedit.

Go to the Lost Town and get down the hatch in one of the houses in top-right quarter, then walk carefully through the corridor avoiding mines.
Open the door and let yourself be taken to the Raiders' leader, then join them for an ambush run.
The caravan the're attacking is being attacked by ghouls - one of the powered armored ones has a laser rifle and 30 ammo for it.
Still, laser weapons are pretty useless against armored enemies. Besides, where could you possibly buy ammo for this weapon so early in game?
DarthVenis
Neutral

Post by DarthVenis »

Ractaros96 wrote:
ddguy71 wrote:Besides, where could you possibly buy ammo for this weapon so early in game?
Yeah, it woud be great at least to add more microfision cells to merchant stashes and containers, given the fact that energy weapons are the main power in the game. In F1 and 2 I always had plenty of MF cells by the time I got my first laser/plasma rifle.

And why ther's no Gauss rifle in the game? It ruled completely for small guns characters in F2, and there is no mention that the weapon is built by either the Enclave or BOS, so putting it into Ressurection won't create any inconsitencies, I'm sure!
Darek
Neutral

Post by Darek »

DarthVenis wrote:...microfision cells...
While I'm sure it's just a typo, I don't think I would want a fission cell no matter how small. LOL
DarthVenis wrote:And why ther's no Gauss rifle in the game? It ruled completely for small guns characters in F2, and there is no mention that the weapon is built by either the Enclave or BOS, so putting it into Ressurection won't create any inconsitencies, I'm sure!
There is one, but it's very close to end-game and you barely get any ammo for it.
DoctorSticks
Accepted

Post by DoctorSticks »

Small Guns is perfectly viable, without the need for anything else.

Kriss Sub is all you really need. Between the Penetrate perk (yes, it has that), and high armor piercing, it can kill most foes in a single burst. It is pretty much the best Small Gun in the game, both in the burst and single-shot department (well, maybe the .223 Pistol has something to say about that).

Bug guns is cool, but not needed. OF those, the Heavy Grenade Launcher is all around the best, having the power of a Rocket Launcher (a little less damage), but the ammo for it is a lot easier to get (Chuck can have as many as 24 rounds), and a lot lighter. Flamethrower is pretty cool, but up close, Kriss is more efficient (and a lot lighter).
Anti-material rifle is pretty scary when you see Dutch use it, but it costs 6ap to fire, which means 2 shots at most (3 if you have 12ap), compared to Annihilator with 3 shots, or .223 Pistol (or just the Heavy Grenade Launcher).
The Miniguns are pretty devastating against lightly armored foes, but suck hard against heavy armor. Gatling Destroyer is your best bet, and is able to shred most enemies, but you need a shitload of ammo for it (40 bursts a pop). Still, in terms of sheer firepower, it is the best, if you can lug around the ammo).

As for Energy weapons, they sadly are pretty much all end-game. Light Plasma Rifle is pretty solid, but you need to wait till Albuquerque to get it. Rebirth is where all the neat toys are, but that's literally the end of the game. Indeed, the P95 plasma is found on the bottom floor, which you don't even need to access to win. Special mention goes to the Plasma Cannon, which you can obtain before Rebirth, if you don't mind mopping up Dernus and his buddies.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Hi,
I'm curious, what is your opinion on the DKS-501 Pistol compared to the Sniper Rifle?
As far as I see it, the DKS trades AP for accuracy. And I can't make up my mind if it's better or not. Or just an alternative (single-handed perk). EDIT: *One Hander

Also in comparison to the .223 pistol.
Last edited by Muttie on Sun May 20, 2018 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorSticks
Accepted

Post by DoctorSticks »

THe .223 Pistol is definitely better, due to Penetrate. It has less range, but that's not a big deal. It will hit harder 100% of the time.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Cheers.
I didn't know about Penetrate. Is that a weapon ability?

And another one. I can't decide on :)
Annihilator Shotgun or H&K CAWS?
On first glance it seems obvious (the Annihilator has much higher damage), but the CAWS has a good burst (5 shots) and better range. What do you think? Equal or never use [insert weapon].
DoctorSticks
Accepted

Post by DoctorSticks »

Penetrate ignores 80% of the Damage Threshold of the armor. So, if you fire against Combat armor, only 1 DT will be applied, instead of 5. Against Power Armor, which has 12 DT, this is huge.

Annihilator is pretty good, with 30 average damage. CAWS isn't that useful, for the same reason Combat Shotgun sucks. For Burst, either Assault Rifle or 10MM Sub are better (Or even the Browning Rifle), and for single shot, Annihilator is what you want (until the .223 Pistol).

Or, if you are unsure, just head to Albaquerque, and pick up Kriss from Margaret.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Are there other "hidden" weapon skills?

It seems to me as if the Sniper Rifle, crits more often than other weapons. Or am I imagining things?
And if it does, does the same apply to the DKS-501 Pistol?
DoctorSticks
Accepted

Post by DoctorSticks »

There are a few of them.

Weapon Accurate - Grants +20% accuracy to the weapon. Shotguns of all kinds belong here, as do Gauss weapons and the 14mm pistol (among a few others).

Knockback - Knocks the target back (1 hex for 5 damage dealt) - The hammers have this, along with Louisville Slugger. I would argue that this is bad, since it means you have to spend AP to move toward the target.

Weapon Long Range - Doubles the effective range of the weapon (the distance at which the range penalty applies). Things like Assault Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Miniguns, Laser and Plasma Rifles are in this category. I am not sure about the Sniper Pistol, you could probably do some tests.

Penetrate - Reduced Damage Threshold by 80%. .223 Pistol has this, as do the Pulse weapons. Kriss also has this, which I found just by experimentation (it basically dealt almost full damage against Power Armor), and is the reason why the weapon is so OP. I wonder if this was intentional.