Crash on 5th level of Rebirth base

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

Baardhaas
Accepted

Crash on 5th level of Rebirth base

Post by Baardhaas »

When starting a fight on the 5th level of the rebirth base the game crashes after a while.

It doesn't happen after a certain amount of turns, but sometime during the battle it inevitably does. Tried about 8 times and getting a little sad here.

Savegame: https://en.webshare.cz/file/ig6S0vM3tM/slot05-7z
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Re: Crash on 5th level of Rebirth base

Post by Daemon »

I have tried it and no crash for me, I have killed everyone on the floor. I don't know what advice give you. Seems like Fallout being Fallout :(
Have you observed that it would crash always during the same action, like always when someone get hit or something like that? Did you make some modifications in Resurrection or changes in its Sfall or HiRes? Do you have any modification in Fallout 2 installed?
Maybe old method changing value of art_cache_size could help (try it with higher value or with lower value). With Resurrection it would be in the file Fallout2\Resurrection\fores.cfg
Baardhaas
Accepted

Post by Baardhaas »

I've had more crashes during the course of the game. Especially in Rat Hole. But I've always managed to get by with one or two reloads.

Apparently it's something with my setup. Though I've made no changes to sfall and play without any other mods. Just did a fresh humongous install and installed the mod.

I'll try your suggestions and some different settings on my hardware, like running the game on one core or one of the compatiblity modes.
Baardhaas
Accepted

Post by Baardhaas »

Changing the cache size had some effect, that is to say, I was able to finish the battle and clear the floor. But as I entered the elevator, the game crashed again. This was the error message:

NovaRain
Liked

Post by NovaRain »

The default value (524) of art_cache_size from FoRes is already unusually high. 256 (4MB) is enough for FO2 RP and Megamod.
I'm gonna check if using 256 for FoRes works, maybe it will have some problem handling the "spammers" special encounter.
Baardhaas
Accepted

Post by Baardhaas »

NovaRain wrote:The default value (524) of art_cache_size from FoRes is already unusually high. 256 (4MB) is enough for FO2 RP and Megamod.
I'm gonna check if using 256 for FoRes works, maybe it will have some problem handling the "spammers" special encounter.
Lowering it to 256 has done wonders for the stability of my game. I've had no more crashes or issues whatsoever. I'm starting a new playthrough soon and hope it will stay this way.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

Baardhaas wrote:Lowering it to 256 has done wonders for the stability of my game. I've had no more crashes or issues whatsoever. I'm starting a new playthrough soon and hope it will stay this way.
Great, glad to hear it. Let us know how it worked out. So you didn't change anything else?
Baardhaas
Accepted

Post by Baardhaas »

Daemon wrote:Great, glad to hear it. Let us know how it worked out. So you didn't change anything else?
Nope just the art_cache_size in the fores.cfg file.

In layman's terms, what does it do?
NovaRain
Liked

Post by NovaRain »

Baardhaas wrote:
Daemon wrote:Great, glad to hear it. Let us know how it worked out. So you didn't change anything else?
Nope just the art_cache_size in the fores.cfg file.
In layman's terms, what does it do?
I'm not sure how the game uses the art cache. I only know multiplying art_cache_size by 16KB equals to the number of KB of memory that the game reserves for the art cache. So 256 gives 4MB, and 524 gives 8.1875MB. It's default to 8 in the engine.
Setting it too low will crash the game if there are too many tiles/critters in the map, that was the cause of crashing issue on EPA in Restoration Project back in 2008.
Setting it too high will also crash the game on various systems, but I don't know why.

Timeslip added OverrideArtCacheSize option for overriding the art cache size since sfall 1.28, so modders don't need to tell players to check/edit fallout2.cfg. Restoration Project has OverrideArtCacheSize=1 by default.
At first it set 256 for Win9x version (discontinued) and 1024 for Win2k/XP, but 1024 gave some people including me crashes on WinXP, so she lowered the value to 256.