A bit of skills-powegaming

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

GarettZriwin
Accepted

A bit of skills-powegaming

Post by GarettZriwin »

I want to calculate how much skills i will need to raise and what skills to tag.

Generally we need 130% to be safe forever in wastes.

Science can be learned via books.
Speech has to be tagged if I want to use it.
Barter probably too but I don't know it if it caps at 100%, any advice?
Repair can be trained via books too but are there any tools or super tools sets(+20/40%)?
Lockpick have to be trained ourselves but we start with free +20% bonus and we can buy another one in Alb so we need only 90%.
Is Traps skill any good? I know there is safe in Lost Town but no idea if tagging/training this skill will be good in the long run. Disarming traps does not even give good xp, is there any unique trapped loot that I will lose acces to without good skill?
Outdoorsman can be trained via books to 80% and given +20% from motion detector so we get full 100%.

Also, I would like to know where I could get Metal Armor? I have got CA and still haven't seen anything between it and Leather Armor mk1.

Any tips on what to tag(2 skills)? Speech is not of great importance for me, because I can just avoid most of skill checks with alternate choices.
Baardhaas
Accepted

Re: A bit of skills-powegaming

Post by Baardhaas »

I'm always in for some borderline cheating, exploits and metagaming. So here's my take on things:
GarettZriwin wrote:Science can be learned via books.
Yes, raise it to 92% with books, lower your INT by using mentats and waiting 24 hours and lower it some more by taking psycho. At Int 1 raise it to 92% again by reading books. Don't exit your inventory in between reading books, because then the game registers the time that's passed from reading and your INT is back up again. You should reach 127% this way, if you lower your INT again, you'll only have to invest 3 skillpoints to reach 130% science.
GarettZriwin wrote:Speech has to be tagged if I want to use it.
Agree, 130% speech is quite high and can only be reached with skillpoint investment so a Tag is definitely usefull here. You can get the last few % by taking the charisma upgrade in Albuquerque.
GarettZriwin wrote:Barter probably too but I don't know it if it caps at 100%, any advice?
I don't know what the highest barter check is in the game.
GarettZriwin wrote:Repair can be trained via books too but are there any tools or super tools sets(+20/40%)?
You can raise repair the same way as science, the books are even cheaper. There are tools; super toolkit comes really late, but the leatherman-tool can be obtained quite early. I don't know if the Devs changed anything to the bonus they convey. Seems unlikely to me.
GarettZriwin wrote:Lockpick have to be trained ourselves but we start with free +20% bonus and we can buy another one in Alb so we need only 90%.
I found that every lock can be broken with the crowbar. You even get the XP for doing so. Makes lockpicking only useful for cracking safes.
GarettZriwin wrote:Is Traps skill any good? I know there is safe in Lost Town but no idea if tagging/training this skill will be good in the long run. Disarming traps does not even give good xp, is there any unique trapped loot that I will lose acces to without good skill?
Can't think of any unique item that is unobtainable without a high traps skill.
GarettZriwin wrote:Outdoorsman can be trained via books to 80% and given +20% from motion detector so we get full 100%.
Train it to 100% with books instead so you don't have to lug a heavy motion sensor around.
GarettZriwin wrote:Also, I would like to know where I could get Metal Armor? I have got CA and still haven't seen anything between it and Leather Armor mk1.
It is sold by the shopkeeper in Corath.
GarettZriwin wrote:Any tips on what to tag(2 skills)? Speech is not of great importance for me, because I can just avoid most of skill checks with alternate choices.
For late game weapons you either have to tag big guns or energy weapons. For early game and cost-effective dealing with low level opponents you could tag either unarmed or melee. Maybe you could tag doctor for some more ways to solve quests.
necromonger
Liked

Post by necromonger »

Baardhaas wrote: For late game weapons you either have to tag big guns or energy weapons. For early game and cost-effective dealing with low level opponents you could tag either unarmed or melee. Maybe you could tag doctor for some more ways to solve quests.
There are no small guns weapons powerful enough for the late game like the Gauss Rifle in Fallout 2?
Last edited by necromonger on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eLPuSHeR
Accepted

Post by eLPuSHeR »

I think not but I may be mistaken. My char also specializes in small guns and I am finding them quite underwhelming when compared to F2. I have invested in energy weapons too but I haven't made any great use from them so far. If you like smgs, you can buy Kriss SMG from the quartermaster to the left of Empire Main Building. Haven't tested it yet but it seems quite nice although I fear I may be out of ammo soon for it, because it uses the not so common 14AP ammo.
necromonger
Liked

Post by necromonger »

eLPuSHeR wrote:I think not but I may be mistaken. My char also specializes in small guns and I am finding them quite underwhelming when compared to F2. I have invested in energy weapons too but I haven't made any great use from them so far. If you like smgs, you can buy Kriss SMG from the quartermaster to the left of Empire Main Building. Haven't tested it yet but it seems quite nice although I fear I may be out of ammo soon for it, because it uses the not so common 14AP ammo.
I bought that SMG for Keri and it does a lot of damage. Have you tried using a sniper rifle? You can do massive amounts of damage to your enemies if you shoot them in the eyes with a sniper rifle?
GarettZriwin
Accepted

Post by GarettZriwin »

necromonger wrote:
eLPuSHeR wrote:I think not but I may be mistaken. My char also specializes in small guns and I am finding them quite underwhelming when compared to F2. I have invested in energy weapons too but I haven't made any great use from them so far. If you like smgs, you can buy Kriss SMG from the quartermaster to the left of Empire Main Building. Haven't tested it yet but it seems quite nice although I fear I may be out of ammo soon for it, because it uses the not so common 14AP ammo.
I bought that SMG for Keri and it does a lot of damage. Have you tried using a sniper rifle? You can do massive amounts of damage to your enemies if you shoot them in the eyes with a sniper rifle?
Also with better criticals its 25% for instakill with critical hits on vunerable body parts... How much critical chance Sniper perk adds?

@edit
Its 10*Luck so I will have 70% crit on second roll and 67(Assuming I go for eyes)% from first roll with my 7 luck. Which gives ~10% that evey hit in eyes is instakill for me.
eLPuSHeR
Accepted

Post by eLPuSHeR »

I don't have any skill for targeting body parts (I usually get near to anyone and burst them into oblivion). I will start using Energy Weapons soon... I am still doing some quests for Empire albeit slowly....
Baardhaas
Accepted

Post by Baardhaas »

necromonger wrote: There are no small guns weapons powerful enough for the late game like the Gauss Rifle in Fallout 2?
There is a gauss rifle, but I've got no more than 20 shots for it. Don't know if there's more ammo for it. Besides, you'll get it really late, like end-game late.

The reason I didn't suggested a tag for small guns is because this thread was about powergaming your skills. And small guns can be raised with books. There are some very nice small guns, like the sniper rifle as people have pointed out. To that I'd like to add that the sniper rifle has 50 range and a base ap cost of 6. The sniper pistol has 40 range (which is as much as a hunting rifle) and costs 5 ap. Creating a build where you can fire two targeted shots per round becomes a lot easier with the sniper pistol.
GarettZriwin
Accepted

Post by GarettZriwin »

Baardhaas wrote:
necromonger wrote: There are no small guns weapons powerful enough for the late game like the Gauss Rifle in Fallout 2?
There is a gauss rifle, but I've got no more than 20 shots for it. Don't know if there's more ammo for it. Besides, you'll get it really late, like end-game late.

The reason I didn't suggested a tag for small guns is because this thread was about powergaming your skills. And small guns can be raised with books. There are some very nice small guns, like the sniper rifle as people have pointed out. To that I'd like to add that the sniper rifle has 50 range and a base ap cost of 6. The sniper pistol has 40 range (which is as much as a hunting rifle) and costs 5 ap. Creating a build where you can fire two targeted shots per round becomes a lot easier with the sniper pistol.
Thread is about non-combat-skills powergaming. 8)
This is why i said there are 2 free tags, because one I will keep at small arms, and next build will be when I will know where to get other weapons for them on my own.
laclongquan
Accepted

Post by laclongquan »

Actually, I think you can just skip tagging gun skill. early game you make do with melee. Middle game you use skill book. When you invest properly on Energy you can start using weapons which start appearing anyway.

Speech is tagged because 130 is not for the stingy.

Doctor might be tagged because no other way to raise it. Maybe.

Possibly Lockpick. There's xp to be had when you pick/unpick any viable items. With the sheer number of it, there's lot of xp to be had early game which is very helpful. There's many things you can loot.

Traps is tricky. I've found only raider's base and might be chuck's locker to have trap. And raider's corridor can be dealt with by grenades, or pure Psycho toughing it out. So I dont think invest Trap to 100 is effective.
necromonger
Liked

Post by necromonger »

laclongquan wrote:Actually, I think you can just skip tagging gun skill. early game you make do with melee. Middle game you use skill book. When you invest properly on Energy you can start using weapons which start appearing anyway.

Speech is tagged because 130 is not for the stingy.

Doctor might be tagged because no other way to raise it. Maybe.

Possibly Lockpick. There's xp to be had when you pick/unpick any viable items. With the sheer number of it, there's lot of xp to be had early game which is very helpful. There's many things you can loot.

Traps is tricky. I've found only raider's base and might be chuck's locker to have trap. And raider's corridor can be dealt with by grenades, or pure Psycho toughing it out. So I dont think invest Trap to 100 is effective.
I've noticed that the speech skill is very important in this mod. I don't see how you could do all the quests in the game without high speech.
NovaRain
Liked

Post by NovaRain »

Baardhaas wrote:
You can get another 20 rounds if you help testing the gauss rifle (need to fire four shots at targets), so the maximum number of 2mm EC is 36. But returning the gauss rifle is also part of a quest, for quest completeness it's impossible to keep it.
The best small gun in the game is probably still the good ol' .223 Pistol (the real one, not the sniper pistol), you can get one if siding with Nestor in Corath. It can do some pretty good damage against power armored enemies due to its Weapon Penetrate perk (target's DT divided by 5).
GarettZriwin
Accepted

Post by GarettZriwin »

Traps is worth tagging if we don't want to tag barter, speech or 2nd combat skill.
While safes are all ridiculously crappy(There is less loot in them than from simple raider!!!) we need it to take Chuck inventory.

If we go energy wep build and get to ABQ fast then we can for 700 caps and 91% traps skill get Combat armor and lot of combat goods.
GarettZriwin
Accepted

Post by GarettZriwin »

Also, now that I finished game with my first chat, I must say that there is no real need to go for big/energy weapons as long as you use crit-build(And who would use other with Small arms? SMG burster? :roll: ).

You can kill most heavy enemies in 1-2 hits with Revolver(Up to 3 shoots/turn) or Shortened sniper rifle, and if you still don't have Sniper perk you can also burst enemies with SMG from Imperial city, it is basically pocket bozar. You can boost accuracy even more on longer ranges with one-hander trait.
Hefarius
Accepted

Post by Hefarius »

GarettZriwin wrote:Also, now that I finished game with my first chat, I must say that there is no real need to go for big/energy weapons as long as you use crit-build(And who would use other with Small arms? SMG burster? :roll: ).

You can kill most heavy enemies in 1-2 hits with Revolver(Up to 3 shoots/turn) or Shortened sniper rifle, and if you still don't have Sniper perk you can also burst enemies with SMG from Imperial city, it is basically pocket bozar. You can boost accuracy even more on longer ranges with one-hander trait.
Hip shots from Revolver or aimed ones from Rodriguez revolver?