Release for MacOS X

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

prof-farnsworth
Neutral

Release for MacOS X

Post by prof-farnsworth »

Dear awesome Fallout 1.5 - Resurrection team,

there is also Fallout 2 available for MacOS X at GOG, so I thought maybe the Resurrection modification could work there as well? Do you maybe have any experience to maybe build it for MacOS X too?

Thanks and best regards,
Prof. Farnsworth
prof-farnsworth
Neutral

Re: Release for MacOS X

What i've found out so far is, that GOG only uses wine and some wrappers to execute Fallout. I've also followed the instructions to copy the files manually into the correct folders. But anyway after executing Fallout.app I receive the "loading" screen which shows Fallout 1.5 but than return back to the main screen without loading the game. Did someone of you maybe had same experience and maybe also a solution for it?

1. I've copied the data from the downloaded zip archive:

Code: Select all

$ cd '/Applications/Fallout 2.app/Contents/Resources/game/Fallout 2.app/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Fallout 2'
$ cp -ra ~/Downloads/FoRes_EN_1_5/Resurrection/* .
$ cp -ra ~/Downloads/FoRes_EN_1_5/sound .
2. I've modified the Info.plist in '/Applications/Fallout 2.app/Contents/Resources/game/Fallout 2.app/Contents'. By replacing the following line:

- <string>/Program Files/GOG.com/Fallout 2/Fallout.exe</string>
+ <string>/Program Files/GOG.com/Fallout 2/fores.exe</string>
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

Unfortunately, we don't have experience with MacOS. I know people were able to run Resurrection in Linux using Wine so I think it should be possible on MacOS too.
Resurrection files are supposed to be in its own "Resurrection" subfolder in Fallout 2 folder, not directly in Fallout 2 folder. That means patch to Resurrection executable is supposed to be:
Fallout 2\Resurrection\fores.exe

And don't forget to set "native,builtin" for files "ddraw.ini" and "ddraw.dll" in the Fallout 2/Resurrection directory in order to ensure that all Sfall functions run properly. If after all that the game starts with a black screen and nothing else happens, try to change the graphics mode using the Configuration Program. The "Original - 8bit" setting is your best bet in that case.
prof-farnsworth
Neutral

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I think it was my fault because I copied the data the wrong way. After fixing this issue it works really well with the GOG MacOS X version!

$ cd '/Applications/Fallout 2.app/Contents/Resources/game/Fallout 2.app/drive_c/Program Files/GOG.com/Fallout 2'
$ cp -ra ~/Downloads/FoRes_EN_1_5/Resurrection .
The correct string for the Info.plist:

<string>/Program Files/GOG.com/Fallout 2/Resurrection/fores.exe</string>