Speedruns (spoilers obviously)

General discussion about Resurrection without spoilers. If you have questions about the game not concerning its content, or problems with running the game, this is the place to ask.

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

broneslav
Neutral

Speedruns (spoilers obviously)

Post by broneslav »

Daemon
Resurrection team member

Re: Walkthrough and help with two quests

Post by Daemon »

broneslav wrote:Shortiest walkthrough
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8EgdLYDskA
Nice :-)
It's good you still found the time for sex with a ghoul :D

Someone made worldmap labels for Resurrection in Russian? I see you have Russian Fallout 2 interface but city names in the worldmap are Resurrection cities if I'm not mistaken.
I have noticed that float text in cutscenes (like ghouls ambush or Sebastian in Camp of Mutants) are disappearing too quick. There's no time to read them. Is this happening always to you in Resurrection?
broneslav
Neutral

Speedrun

Post by broneslav »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8EgdLYDskA

Any suggestions to make it shorter?
Pushwall
Neutral

Re: Speedrun

Post by Pushwall »

Well hopefully anyone who wants to avoid spoilers doesn't click on a thread that says "speedrun"...

Pleasantly surprised to see someone else trying a speedrun of this, as I was in the middle of working on one when I saw your previous link :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnGNoPKV5jM

My route uses easy mode though, which kind of cheapens the run as it lets you start the game with enough speech to deal with the supermutant guard immediately, so you never have to complete any optional quests for levels - but hey, anything for speed, right? Combined with some combat-sneak abuse this allows you to complete the game without ever entering Albuquerque. Which is funny because I think there is a dialog path I could have taken that suggests that my character was recently there...

I can see a number of things that could help the hard mode run, some of which I've also done in mine, but very last bit is speculation which I haven't properly tested yet: (highlight this text to read it properly, I'm trying to make absolutely sure nobody accidentally spoils themselves stumbling into this thread that's not spoiler-marked)
  • shoot Oswald to skip the doctor scene at the start
  • playing a female character gives you faster movement speed (I don't know the exact mechanics behind it but this IS a thing)
  • you don't need to get the base holodisk AND speak to Thomas; either of those will put the Rebirth base on the map. The holodisk is faster, but Thomas lets you get some robes - only needed if you sneak into the basement
  • there's a little more you can do with your Science: hack a red card to match your fake ID. I'm not sure if this is faster than the floor 2 detour though, and if you aren't doing this, you might as well just impersonate people on floor 1 instead of doing the first part of ID hacking, as that lets you free up your Science tag for something else. I'm not sure what you'd tag instead though, as Sneak will have a poor success rate on hard mode...
  • identify as the Thirteenth Reborn to the red elevator guards for a shortcut. You'll still need a card though - it's not obvious why at first but you'll see.
  • You may be able to skip Rat Hole and Sedit entirely (RIP ghoul sex :( ) as pretty much every quest in Albuquerque gives at least 1000 exp and I think the first quest from Benicio can be done with low skills. It's definitely worth looking around a bit more to see if there are any faster quests though as that quest has another floating text cutscene.

If I remember Fallout speedrun rules correctly, timing starts upon clicking DONE at character creation and ends when you touch the final exit grid, so your timing would be 26:22 and not "30 minutes". Likewise mine would be 9:26. (give or take a second)

Good luck on improving the hard mode run! :)

edit: and only just now I notice the ancient thread in the Czech forum which, if my google translate is right, devised pretty much the same route as this long ago except back then they talked to Oswald...
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Re: Speedruns (spoilers obviously)

Post by Daemon »

Great to see more speedruns!

btw. I have merged discussion about speedruns from two topics into this one.
broneslav
Neutral

Post by broneslav »

Pushwall wrote: I can see a number of things that could help the hard mode run, some of which I've also done in mine, but very last bit is speculation which I haven't properly tested yet: (highlight this text to read it properly, I'm trying to make absolutely sure nobody accidentally spoils themselves stumbling into this thread that's not spoiler-marked)
  • shoot Oswald to skip the doctor scene at the start
  • playing a female character gives you faster movement speed (I don't know the exact mechanics behind it but this IS a thing)
  • you don't need to get the base holodisk AND speak to Thomas; either of those will put the Rebirth base on the map. The holodisk is faster, but Thomas lets you get some robes - only needed if you sneak into the basement
  • there's a little more you can do with your Science: hack a red card to match your fake ID. I'm not sure if this is faster than the floor 2 detour though, and if you aren't doing this, you might as well just impersonate people on floor 1 instead of doing the first part of ID hacking, as that lets you free up your Science tag for something else. I'm not sure what you'd tag instead though, as Sneak will have a poor success rate on hard mode...
  • identify as the Thirteenth Reborn to the red elevator guards for a shortcut. You'll still need a card though - it's not obvious why at first but you'll see.
  • You may be able to skip Rat Hole and Sedit entirely (RIP ghoul sex :( ) as pretty much every quest in Albuquerque gives at least 1000 exp and I think the first quest from Benicio can be done with low skills. It's definitely worth looking around a bit more to see if there are any faster quests though as that quest has another floating text cutscene.
Thank you for your suggestions. Very usefull i guess.
As i know the fastest quest in Albuquerque is about Aleea's boyfriend (500 exp). But i have no idea who is Benicio and where to find him. Maybe its because i have been played for a week only.

Your speedrun is great.
Daemon wrote:
Someone made worldmap labels for Resurrection in Russian? I see you have Russian Fallout 2 interface but city names in the worldmap are Resurrection cities if I'm not mistaken.
I have noticed that float text in cutscenes (like ghouls ambush or Sebastian in Camp of Mutants) are disappearing too quick. There's no time to read them. Is this happening always to you in Resurrection?
Yep. Somebody is making rus translation, but i dont have full information about it.
About text messages in cutscenes - it may be because of text delay options set to "fastest" or something with sfall options. I dont really know.
Pushwall
Neutral

Post by Pushwall »

broneslav wrote: But i have no idea who is Benicio and where to find him. Maybe its because i have been played for a week only
Talk to Terrak, the guy in metal armour in Wild Paradise (the building north of the Mutant Hunter base) and ask him about his secret mission, and then a dwarf named Benicio will approach you and give you a counter-offer if you visit him upstairs. Once you've visited him, all you have to do is enter the Imperial City (mention Terrak to the gate guard), tell Eliza you have information about Anonym, see a cutscene and then report back to Benicio for your 1000 exp (and more work which you're not going to do anyway). And at this point you're only a short walk away from the Mutant Hunter base/Camp of Mutants that you need those skill points for. :) I just tried this myself and it can be done at the start on hard mode; if it does have a speech requirement then it's not very high as I was able to do it with 55%. But yeah, It's a fairly slow quest thanks to the council meeting.

I forgot about the Aleea quest though, that sounds like a better idea than mine. In my test run to see how feasible Benicio's quest was on hard mode, I wound up with 300 exp just from Outdoorsman checks by the time I got to Albuquerque. Outdoorsman EXP per encounter is equal to 100 minus your outdoorsman skill, but you still want your skill high enough that you can actually dodge encounters and not die to assault rifle ghouls. So that's 6 dodged encounters if you have 50% Outdoorsman. Combine that with one full round of First Aid+Doctor farming from letting yourself get hurt in the rat cave which would get you up to 225 exp, and it should be possible to get by with just Aleea's quest and skill exp. In this case, maybe tagging Doctor or First Aid will save more time than Science. If you get hurt in another random encounter you could use First Aid+Doctor after that for extra exp and that means you don't have to dodge as many encounters.

If you plan on wearing power armour into the Rebirth base (as I am not sure how well trying to sneak through the Camp of Mutants will work on hard mode) and don't have Science, you will have to talk to Tramell (the named power armour guy on B1) to steal his identity instead of Leonard, because the elevator guard knows what these people are supposed to be wearing :)