Old Fallout 2 Saves

General discussion about Resurrection without spoilers. If you have questions about the game not concerning its content, or problems with running the game, this is the place to ask.

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

GenBaconator
Neutral

Old Fallout 2 Saves

Post by GenBaconator »

Hello. I saw the trailer for Fallout 1.5: Resurrection, and it looks pretty cool and I want to play it. However, I am concerned about my other saves. I looked in the FAQ and one of the questions was will you be able to play on your old saves, and it said that older saves are not backwards compatible. I want to be able to install Resurrection so I can play it, but I want to be able to uninstall it so when I don't wanna play Resurrection, I can go back onto my Fallout 2 saves. Before I install Resurrection, can anyone tell me if there is a way to uninstall it when I don't wanna play the mod and just wanna play on my normal Fallout 2 saves?
agris
Accepted

Re: Old Fallout 2 Saves

Post by agris »

Resurrection actually uses a cool trick Lexxx figured out a long time ago. It installs, but it doesn't override your regular Fallout 2 install. You can play both of them simultaneously, they use different folders for saves and game-specific data.

What you can't do, I believe, is install it over a copy of Fallout 2 which has the restoration project installed. That's because the RP patches master.dat.
valcik
Betatester

Post by valcik »

@agris:
killap's RP works fine with Resurrection, since the only change in master.dat are proto files for Cassidy and Vic AFAIK. Resurrection goes with its own *.dat files containing all the companions proto files, it doesn't read it from original master.dat, so there's not any conflict here.
agris
Accepted

Post by agris »

Good to know.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

Resurrection loads data from master.dat. We would have to unnecessarily include lot of original unchanged files into fores.dat for dowload otherwise. But since RP patches master.dat only with prototypes of Fallout 2 party members, there's no problem in that.

As mentioned, Resurrection runs in its own directory so save files from Resurrection are in different place than save files from Fallout 2/RP.
The answer about old save files in FAQ is about save files from older versions of Resurrection.