My Good PlayThrough

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

LifeTears
Liked

My Good PlayThrough

Post by LifeTears »

In case people are struggling in the beginning i can share my playthrough.

at Level 4 i have had both Keri and lystra as companion with 100% energy weapons, 100% Speach, 100% Lockpicks and was smashing just everyone.

Basic stats
St 6
Per 7
En 5
Ch 5
In 7 (more points on level, faster xp + Keri)
Ag 7 (good action poionts)
Luck 3 (really doesn't make any difference to me, save and load and luck changes at random)

Traits:
Skilled (more points on level, faster xp)
Finesse

Perks
Swift Learner (more points on level, faster exp)

Energy and Big guns are best in game.

Chose 3 Tags
Energy Weapons
Lockpick ( need to find all sorts of loot which you can sell and make money)
Speach (very easy to navagite through all quests peacefully and save money, until you get good energy weapon skills to kill people)

Don't use any points in the game on Repair, Medicine, Science, you can max them out simply by buying books or doing weapon loot trades for them.

Max out speach to 91 first with some lockpicks, navigate quest through speach marks saving money and earing good karma)
Get Keri as companion, without doing bad things you will have good karma to get Lystra right away also. Take plasma pistol from her desk and max out energy weapons.
If you get in travelling combat before maxing out energy and taking plasma pistol just run away.
The sooner you get 2 good companions the better and stronger they will be as they level up with you.

Did all this by level 4 now i'm just unstoppable, Try doing Sedit caravan quest chain as soon you have good energy weapon, get all the way to raiders and go on first raid with them leave keri and lystra outside get them after the raid is done.
In the raid just run away upwards and let the raiders kill everyone, loot the ghouls laser rifle, good starting energy weapon at level 4.

Hope this helps, i seen a lot of people complaining about difficulty and combat, its really easy if you have a good build character. Difficulty = Normal, All quests completed in high karma including giving donation and money to poor.

If anyone has questions, ask :)
sultangurde
Accepted

Re: My Good PlayThrough

Post by sultangurde »

From hard/combat hard point of view (personal preference):

1. Speech tag is good solution. If i ever decide to play again i will go with it for sure. It gives you many talk options you dont have with 15 speech :)
2. Problem with energy weapon on low level will be price and availability of ammo.
3. Charisma is useless if you want to play alone (lone perk +10% to all skills - my pick).
4. I dont really like skilled. Assuming you can get to around level 18, with skilled you got 4 additional traits and without it 6. That makes big difference to me.
5. Maybe that is just me but big guns are kinda useless: i played with sniper rifle/smg than progressed to laser/plasma. Hardest enemies have high fire/explosive/minigun resistance.

In the end we love Fallout for diversity of builds that work or not :)
LifeTears
Liked

Post by LifeTears »

sultangurde wrote:From hard/combat hard point of view (personal preference):

1. Speech tag is good solution. If i ever decide to play again i will go with it for sure. It gives you many talk options you dont have with 15 speech :)
2. Problem with energy weapon on low level will be price and availability of ammo.
3. Charisma is useless if you want to play alone (lone perk +10% to all skills - my pick).
4. I dont really like skilled. Assuming you can get to around level 18, with skilled you got 4 additional traits and without it 6. That makes big difference to me.
5. Maybe that is just me but big guns are kinda useless: i played with sniper rifle/smg than progressed to laser/plasma. Hardest enemies have high fire/explosive/minigun resistance.

2) Thats why i listed how to get 2 energy weapons for free on the low level, with beginner laser rifle i one shot lot of people by shooting in their eyes.
3) My companions destroy everything in their way, i mostly just watch lol i think much easier than playing solo
5) You wasted lot of points on small guns which could of been saved by maxing out other skills since you jumped to energy :)

But yes all have different play through as it is a role playing game.
sultangurde
Accepted

Post by sultangurde »

LifeTears wrote:
sultangurde wrote:From hard/combat hard point of view (personal preference):

2) Thats why i listed how to get 2 energy weapons for free on the low level, with beginner laser rifle i one shot lot of people by shooting in their eyes.
3) My companions destroy everything in their way, i mostly just watch lol i think much easier than playing solo
5) You wasted lot of points on small guns which could of been saved by maxing out other skills since you jumped to energy :)

But yes all have different play through as it is a role playing game.
2) Yea, laser weapons are overpowered as hell, unless you fight with enemies with metal armor (they have insane laser resistance).
3) On hard /combat hard difficulty and companions behaviour set to aggresive, they will die in 1 good ghul patrol ambush (3guys in Power Armors and 3 ghuls with hunting rifles). Unless all companions wear combat armors etc :)
5) Yea i wasted some points (propably around 20, beause i had light guns tag).
6) The bigger waste i did was Barter tag. Is was good for low levels, later on i had so much crap i couldnt even pick nor sell.
laclongquan
Accepted

Post by laclongquan »

I dont see the utility of Swift Learner.

The game does not have that much quest xp to support you levelup past 21. So each perk is even more important compared to Fallout2 original. You have 6 or 7 perks only. Waste 1 slot for SL or Educated or Comprehension is a waste.
valcik
Betatester

Post by valcik »

Agreed, 5% granted by Swift Learner trait makes for ~7000 XP at level 18, which is not enough for another level-up. Also, Skilled trait won't give you faster XP. Aside of bonus skill points it just reduce your rate for taking new perks to every four levels instead of every three.
sethmage
Neutral

Post by sethmage »

I'm surprised you didn't pick Gifted, this trait its almost on the level with *I win* button.
Ractaros96
Idolized

Post by Ractaros96 »

laclongquan wrote:I dont see the utility of Swift Learner.

The game does not have that much quest xp to support you levelup past 21. So each perk is even more important compared to Fallout2 original. You have 6 or 7 perks only. Waste 1 slot for SL or Educated or Comprehension is a waste.
You can still fight Deathclaws for 2500 exp and Supermutants for 1500+ exp on Wastelands south of PROGEMA facility. When you'll get sniper or slayer perk, the Rebirth patrols near their base should be piece of cake.
Ja1337
Accepted

Post by Ja1337 »

sultangurde wrote:
Big guns are kinda useless, you say ?
It can 1-shot even Frank Horrigan :P
SaviorDed.png
SaviorDed.png (211.28 KiB) Viewed 17522 times
sultangurde
Accepted

Post by sultangurde »

Haha, nice picture. Yea some crits ignore armor, that is why numbers are so insane like with bozaar in F2, but generally speeking big guns suck :P
Still remember funny situation, when i tried to steal bozaar from a guy in NCR and he caught me, entered combat and hit me for 1000+ hp.
My hp counter went red with -000 to -999 or something and i had to w8 like 40 sec for it to stop spinning to load save :)
Is it upgraded minigun?
laclongquan
Accepted

Post by laclongquan »

Ractaros96 wrote:
laclongquan wrote:I dont see the utility of Swift Learner.

You can still fight Deathclaws for 2500 exp and Supermutants for 1500+ exp on Wastelands south of PROGEMA facility. When you'll get sniper or slayer perk, the Rebirth patrols near their base should be piece of cake.
Let's put this in perspective

You take Swift Learner at level 3. The next perk would be level 6. You are going to play from level 1 to level 6 without recognizable perk, which mean until half way through Sedit. It's a long long period of the game with no place to grind XP in order to get past it faster.

If you take, for example, Awareness at level 3, the game change noticably and you feel that you past an important milestone, even if you are just near the end of Rat Hole.
LifeTears
Liked

Post by LifeTears »

sethmage wrote:I'm surprised you didn't pick Gifted, this trait its almost on the level with *I win* button.
Im very good with looting everything i see and selling it lol so i just do surgery for those stats :D
LifeTears
Liked

Post by LifeTears »

2) Yea, laser weapons are overpowered as hell, unless you fight with enemies with metal armor (they have insane laser resistance).
3) On hard /combat hard difficulty and companions behaviour set to aggresive, they will die in 1 good ghul patrol ambush (3guys in Power Armors and 3 ghuls with hunting rifles). Unless all companions wear combat armors etc :)
5) Yea i wasted some points (propably around 20, beause i had light guns tag).
6) The bigger waste i did was Barter tag. Is was good for low levels, later on i had so much crap i couldnt even pick nor sell.
2) Laser is just for beginner, you need plasma weapons, no one has resistance to that. everyone dies to shit lol So when you get a free plasma pistol at level 3-4 energy start up is not bad :p
Ja1337
Accepted

Post by Ja1337 »

Sultangurde,
Its Sebastian's private minigun :evil:
Here is upgraded minigun and comparison

PS: Gatling Destroyer is probably the best heavy gun in game aaaanndd... with this gun and armor piercing ammo i wasn't able to deal single point of damage to Savior without crit. Is it bug ?
Attachments
Gatlings.png
Gatlings.png (228.51 KiB) Viewed 17503 times
sultangurde
Accepted

Post by sultangurde »

@Ja1337 Thanks for info. Somewhere on this forum i read info that blue ammo for minigun is bugged.

@LifeTears No doubt plasma > lasers but we talk about level 4 range, and reaching plasma weapon at that point will be close to impossible.

I personally use turbo plasma for long range and mutant base boss gun for close range.