Bug: You can't carry that much

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

RiC_David
Neutral

Bug: You can't carry that much

Post by RiC_David »

This is a very frustrating bug that's happened to me a lot in the many hours I've played.

You'll be bartering for goods or even just for caps and receive the message "Sorry, you can't carry that much" even though you absolutely can.
I found a way around it but it's very tedious, you have to drop the items you were going to sell/trade and then pick them up again.

I'd say it happens to me about 5% of the time when bartering.
NovaRain
Liked

Re: Bug: You can't carry that much

Post by NovaRain »

You can upload the save if you want someone to check/verify the bug.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

Yes, save would be useful. I didn't encounter this problem.

Isn't possible that you're already overloaded? In that case the game doesn't let you take items even if they don't weight anything.
RiC_David wrote:I found a way around it but it's very tedious, you have to drop the items you were going to sell/trade and then pick them up again.
I don't understand. If you drop items you were going to sell than you won't sell them so I how does that solve your problem?
RiC_David
Neutral

Post by RiC_David »

Sorry for the late reply.
Daemon wrote:Yes, save would be useful. I didn't encounter this problem.

Isn't possible that you're already overloaded? In that case the game doesn't let you take items even if they don't weight anything.
I accidentally saved over the slot that had the glitch present but when I encounter it next I'll share the file. It is 100% not a case of the player being overloaded, it's always happened when encumbrance is not an issue (at the time of posting the topic it happened at the very start of the game in New Hope when I had tons of space and was only buying tiny items).
RiC_David wrote:I found a way around it but it's very tedious, you have to drop the items you were going to sell/trade and then pick them up again.
Daemon wrote: I don't understand. If you drop items you were going to sell than you won't sell them so I how does that solve your problem?
No no, you drop the items you were trying to sell and then pick them up again. When you try to sell them now it will work just fine. Why this works is a mystery, especially as the message says that the player can't carry the items he's trying to buy yet dropping and picking up the items you're trying to sell fixes the issue! For what it's worth, it can also happen when trading with companions.

It's happened to me on all three of my plays through. Maybe 5% was too high of an estimate as it's only happened twice in this playthrough (I'm about 80% finished) but it's happened a lot, suffice to say. I even started my second game on a new installation of Resurrection so I can't even put it down to an install error.