[Bug/Crash] Game crashes when saving in Albuquerque

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

Javvz
Neutral

[Bug/Crash] Game crashes when saving in Albuquerque

Post by Javvz »

As I enter Albuquerque (for the first time) with the "Dream Caravan" after killing raiders, I can't save/load/leave, cause game crashes. I can see the save on the list, but the file itself seems to be corrupted, and it drops you back to the main menu when you're trying to load it.

Application error window comes with following text:
''The instruction at 00489467 referenced memory at 00000004
The memory could not be read from''

Also, I noticed that the respective save folder lacks all .SAV files, which are usually present in normal ones. So, my guess it's some problem with the scripts, or more likely with map files. Also, I replayed the caravan from the start, and made a save right after the battle, and it works fine, but still comes with the same problem when I arrive at Albuquerque. Would like to attach that save here as well, but it overrides the forum's filesize limit.

Looking forwards for your help. If you get me through this shit, I'm gonna spend some time and give this game a review.
Attachments
SLOT12.rar
(11.43 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Re: [Bug/Crash] Game crashes when saving in Albuquerque

Post by Daemon »

What is your operating system?
There really are missing files in SLOT12, there's nothing to do about it. Please upload that save before entering Albuquerque so I can investigate it. You can upload it somewhere else, for example here - http://www.filedropper.com/ - and post link to it.
Javvz
Neutral

Post by Javvz »

The system is Windows 7 Professional (64)

I managed to split the previous save in three parts, so it barely matches the limit now.

This save takes place right after the raider's attack, so when you leave the location it teleports you to Albuquerque, where it starts to crash.
Attachments
SLOT11.part3.rar
(213.85 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
SLOT11.part2.rar
(255.06 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
SLOT11.part1.rar
(255.04 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

It works for me. It didn't crash.
What version of Fallout 2 do you have? Steam/GOG/? And in what language? Did you make some changes of Resurrection files or did you edit save file somehow?
Javvz
Neutral

Post by Javvz »

It's a standalone eng verison of F2, no clients used, no files changed.
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

Try to run the game as an administrator if you're not doing it already. Isn't possible that an antivirus is interfering with the game? Some antiviruses with too draconian settings might be causing problems but usually it happens from the beginning of the game and not this late.
Maybe try to reinstall Fallout 2 and Resurrection, but hard to say if that helps.
honk honk punch
Neutral

Post by honk honk punch »

I'm getting this problem too. I tried arriving in Albuquerque on foot and by caravan, and both times it results in it crashing when I either leave town or save. Fallout 2 is version 1.02.31 2.3.3. Operating system is Vista (yes, really).

Is there a fix? I was really enjoying this game.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

honk honk punch wrote:Is there a fix? I was really enjoying this game.
If this occurs when you enter AQ for the first time (forced dialogue with Dutch) there somewhat is: http://www.resurrection.cz/forum/viewto ... =12&t=1077 in case you haven't found it yet.
I'm struggling with this crash for quite some time and tried a lot of things. And I posted all I've learned in the linked topic.
However,
the best fix I'm aware of atm is:
Load any character (I use one at the start of Sedit, town not explored yet), then enter another map (so far I always entered Downtown in Sedit, establishing the map for the first time) (but it's possible that establishing any map for the first time works, perhaps even starting a new game (?)), then save that game (this seems also important), load the character that crashes on AQ (it seems saving again at this point is not a good idea, so have a save that is close to AQ, or after the caravan encounter) and enter AQ.

So far this worked for me.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

EDIT: I had another crash at AQ, as usual and expected, and this time I tried a few other things, and I'm sorry but when I try to clear this up differently it doesn't work any more.
I started a new game and saved in the cave, crash. I loaded a character and entered Iron District, crash. I loaded another character entered Downtown, crash.
Only when I loaded the one character I used originally and enter Downtown as described does it work.
I don't really know, there is another factor I'm not realizing.
So I can avoid this crash no problem, I just use my one female character enter Downtown, save and then AQ works fine, but there is a good chance that it can't be reproduced.
I don't know what it is about that save that fixes it.
honk honk punch
Neutral

Post by honk honk punch »

Muttie wrote:
honk honk punch wrote: the best fix I'm aware of atm is:
Load any character (I use one at the start of Sedit, town not explored yet), then enter another map (so far I always entered Downtown in Sedit, establishing the map for the first time) (but it's possible that establishing any map for the first time works, perhaps even starting a new game (?)), then save that game (this seems also important), load the character that crashes on AQ (it seems saving again at this point is not a good idea, so have a save that is close to AQ, or after the caravan encounter) and enter AQ.

So far this worked for me.
Thanks! This worked for me.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Wow, I'm not only causing problems and work for others, but I'm actually fixing stuff too. :)
Admittedly, it's all mumbo-jumbo, but if it works, it works.

Funny, though, but I think at this point (almost) every game breaking bug in the mod can be fixed by using some Kirk's/Muttie's transhilarious hocus-pocus.
It's amazing.