Crash when entering Albuquerque

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

Muttie
Idolized

Crash when entering Albuquerque

Post by Muttie »

I had another AQ crash. I entered the city with Frederyk's Caravan as part of the last quest (Frost was alive).
Instruction 0048b439 at memory 00000001.
I then rebooted the PC, played the ambush again, and it worked fine.

This crash is not really the memory leak (I think) it was originally posted under (http://www.resurrection.cz/forum/viewto ... f=12&t=930). This bug occurs when entering AQ for the first time. The game can crash, save & load may not work, or a crash may occur when entering another AQ map (especially Hunter's Territory).
And I thought I may give it its own topic.

In my experience this issue can be cleared up by rebooting the PC. And then try entering AQ again. So far, this always worked for me.
Muttie
Idolized

Re: Crash when entering Albuquerque

Post by Muttie »

Had another one:
Entered AQ for the first time on foot, and upon entering Hunter's Territory, it crashed. Instruction 00489467 at memory 00000004. http://www.filedropper.com/slot45aqhtcrash
Muttie wrote:In my experience this issue can be cleared up by rebooting the PC. And then try entering AQ again. So far, this always worked for me.
And I have to correct myself:
As during this crash a reboot did not work.
What did work was; I started the mod, closed it, and then rebooted the PC. Went back into the mod, retried the last save, and then I was able to enter AQ & HT without problems.
(Actually, I did that (opened & closed the mod directly after the crash, then reboot) for the other crash, too, but omitted the “started mod, closed mod” as I thought it had no significance, but apparently it does (don't look at me, I'm just a monkey pushing buttons :)). However, the bottom line is that with a bit of tinkering, it was always possible to clean it up, so far.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Muttie wrote:I sold the Talisman for nothing, then travelled to AQ for the first time, talked to Dutch, ended dialogue and reloaded a previous save and the game crashed: “instruction at 0048b1f2, ref. memory at 00000000 can't be read.”
I had the same message again: “instruction at 0048b1f2, ref. memory at 00000000 can't be read.” This time I entered AQ for the first time with a caravan, had no Talisman on me (I dropped them on the floor before getting hired by the caravans), told Dutch to go fuck himself, he then one-shot me (I guess I deserved it :)), I died and the game crashed before showing the death-screen.

Another time I had “instruction at 00489467, ref. memory at 00000004 can't be read.” again. This time I entered AQ for the first time with a Talisman. Then reloaded, repeated the same thing again, and the game crashed when trying to enter Dead Quarter.

Edit: seems to be the same as in this older post: http://www.resurrection.cz/forum/viewto ... =12&t=1047 At least it sounds exactly as some AQ crashes I've experienced.

Has this been figured out? Because it happens really frequently to me and I start to consider this the most frustrating bug, as it not only crashes but then causes problems for other saves as well. Until rebooting somehow fixes it (eventually). Entering AQ works for the most part (if playing normally). But entering without Talisman, or entering, then reload, and entering AQ again does cause problems.

Do I need to report this, or is it clear what it is and only needs to be fixed?
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

It's still not fixed but you don't need to report it anymore. I don't think more reports will tell us anything new.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

OK, thanks.
But out of curiosity:

Have you been able to reproduce it?

And/or do you know what causes it?

Because I'm not sure. I assume it's the first visit to AQ played several times (i.e. first visit, load, first visit again etc.) and/or not having a Talisman. Can you confirm that or is it something else/unknown?
Daemon
Resurrection team member

Post by Daemon »

Sadly, I didn't have time to dive into it yet.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

I see.
It's cool though. The crash is kind of specific. I just would like to know what causes it.

In this regard:
I had again “instruction at 0048b1f2, ref. memory at 00000000 can't be read.”. This time I just started the mod, had a Talisman and entered AQ for the first time (I did not enter AQ during that session, but possibly previously that day) and the game crashed when I tried to exit the game.
This is noteworthy in so far as I speculated it's “not having a Talisman” or “entering AQ for the first time repeatedly”, but neither was true this time. So it's something else. Or opening/closing the mod is not enough to clean it up (but it needs an actual reboot every time AQ has been entered (for the first time). Although that doesn't always seem to do it either?).

Loading several saves/characters that are on AQ is not a problem, but the moment I have a “first visit”, it crashes. And then other AQ saves can start to crash, too. Until cleared up.

It is definitely connected to the “first visit”. And some “preset” I can't figure out.

But sometimes a reboot doesn't work (immediately) either. But only “eventually”.

I just wish I could find a way to reliably avoid this, as testing different characters in AQ requires some preparations. I can't just pick a character, travel there, select another and travel there again. I can't even spread it over different sessions, as sometimes rebooting is not enough.
I just started my PC for the first time today, created a character went straight to AQ and the mod crashed. This time it was “instruction at 00489467, ref. memory at 00000004 can't be read” which also comes up fairly regularly.

Something, somewhere (possibly in regard to the first visit?) is “saved” and causes crashes until it's “cleared up”.

However, I can't find a “clean up” that works consistently (sigh).

Today I got it to work by loading a different character that never was to AQ yet, left to the world map, re-entered Sedit, entered Downtown, saved the game, closed the mod, opened it, then loaded the other character (that kept crashing) entered AQ and it worked fine. So it didn't even need a reboot that time.
However, I bet the moment I try that again it doesn't work anymore.

And of course it didn't! :) Tried it with two other saves (Corath & the crashing one), and it crashed.

However, I tried it again with the Sedit save, and that time it worked.
Perhaps the “clear up” is getting the mod to load and establish a part of a town, like Downtown. As the second time I didn't bother with anything, just loaded the Sedit save, entered Downtown (for the first time), saved that game, loaded the save that should crash when entering AQ and it worked. Perhaps it's “creating Downtown” that clears it up and it doesn't need a reboot and closing/starting of the mod at all.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that this is a “consistent clear up”, but it may be another option besides trying to reboot and opening/closing the mod.

EDIT: I had another crash at AQ, as usual and expected, and this time I tried a few other things, and I'm sorry but when I try to clear this up differently it doesn't work any more.
I started a new game and saved in the cave, crash. I loaded a character and entered Iron District, crash. I loaded another character entered Downtown, crash.
Only when I loaded the one character I used originally and enter Downtown as described does it work.
I don't really know, there is another factor I'm not realizing.
So I can avoid this crash no problem, I just use my one female character enter Downtown, save and then AQ works fine, but there is a good chance that it can't be reproduced.
I don't know what it is about that save that fixes it.