Unobtainable Viable Weapons

What do you think about the game? Share your experiences. You can ask other players for advice about quests, or report bugs here as well. POSSIBLE SPOILERS!

Moderators: Ratman, Seto, Saruman, feťák8, valcik, NovaRain

NovaRain
Liked

Re: Unobtainable Viable Weapons

Post by NovaRain »

Muttie wrote:So simply multiplying with RoF may not be that accurate really. Nor seems reducing the RoF based on the hit chance. (?)
Still no idea how to figure out the total damage of a burst, to be honest.
There's a post by Atom on NMA explained how burst attack works in the engine: http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/crit ... st-3645850
Dividing RoF by 3 and rounding down should be a more reasonable mean value for a burst attack, unless the attack is done in point-blank range. You need to use some hook script if you want to get the exact number of bullets that hit the target.
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Thanks, for finding that old post. And thanks for the rule of thumb.

http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/crit ... st-3645850
Atom wrote: All the bullets are divided into three groups (left, right, central, that will contain about 1/3, 1/3, and 1/6+n bullets respectively, where n are leftover bullets from the initial 1/6 volley that attacked the primary target).
These three groups will then travel along three "parallel" tracks (but hex adjacent to the attacker is common for all of them), trying to hit targets on the way. And skill does matter - determine_to_hit is called every time the valid target is found. Basically, when the group of bullets finds the target, the bullets try to hit it one by one until one of them fails. Then they move on to the next target.

The above was confirmed in-game. I used minigun throwing 1000 bullets at a time (I set ToHit to constant 95%), about 180 hit the primary target, the rest were hit by around 20 - which is the expected value, 1/(1-0.95). When I changed ToHit to constant 100%, the primary target was hit by 334, and the two at it's sides for 333.
I understand the example as following:
Of the 1000 bullets 1/6 will hit the target. That's 166,7 bullets. Of those 95% will hit, that's 158,3.
Then there are three groups of 1/3 (333), 1/3 (333) and 1/6 (166,7) bullets that will hit a target on their fly path until a bullet misses.
With 95%. (1/00,5=20). That's twenty hits before a miss.
So the targets to each side are hit by 20. And the primary target by 158,3+20=178,8 bullets.

And to sum it up:

Burst calculation:
1/6 bullets of the Round of Fire will hit the primary target and make hit rolls.
The rest of the bullets (RoF) are split into three groups: 1/3 of the bullets go to the right, 1/3 to the left and the remaining 1/6 stay central (probably going towards the primary target). Those three groups will check for hits until a bullet misses. When that happens the remaining bullets of that group will not make hit rolls, but travel past the target and try to hit targets behind it (same procedure).
So if I burst an opponent from point blank range 1/6 of the RoF will make a hit roll, while 5/6 of the bullets will also do so until one bullet misses, then the remaining bullets of that group (Note: those 5/6 bullets “may” still be split in three groups of 1/3, 1/6 and 1/3?) will travel past the point blank target to hit targets behind it (if any).

Is this correct? I think it is. The only thing I'm not clear about are the “leftovers”
Atom wrote:and 1/6+n bullets respectively, where n are leftover bullets from the initial 1/6 volley that attacked the primary target
Are those leftovers all bullets after the first, or any that missed, or fractions?

However, if this is correct and confirmed it actually could be added to: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Burst_Shot
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

NovaRain wrote:You might want to use F2wedit to check weapon settings and tweak them for your testings. When I was verifying the damage calculation in game few years ago, I set mix/max damage of a weapon to the same value to avoid random damage.
Could you tell me how you got F2wedit (or Proto Manager) to show Resurrection pro files?

I tried several combinations and it either fails „to find exe, master.dat, critter.dat“, „Can't unpack file proto/item... from master dat“ or I get a scrambled list of RP Mod and Resurrection items, with the Resurrection items only being there in name and description, but all the other details are off (Browning Rifle is a container etc.).

My base FO2 game is a GER CD, which may complicate matters. However, I can display FO1, Fixt and RP Mod just fine.
NovaRain
Liked

Post by NovaRain »

Muttie wrote:
NovaRain wrote:You might want to use F2wedit to check weapon settings and tweak them for your testings. When I was verifying the damage calculation in game few years ago, I set mix/max damage of a weapon to the same value to avoid random damage.
Could you tell me how you got F2wedit (or Proto Manager) to show Resurrection pro files?
Here's my F2wedit setup for Resurrection:
Muttie
Idolized

Post by Muttie »

Thanks, it didn't work at first, but after some messing around I figured out that I needed Fallout2.exe in the Resurrection folder (copy and paste). Otherwise the message “can't read .exe or .dat” popped up. Otherwise, the settings are on point. Thanks.
Muttie wrote:The only exception really was the Browning Rifle using Living Anatomy. And also only in so far as Living Anatomy apparently didn't apply (?).
P.S. I think I figured this out. I used Keri and Lystra as practice targets, and they may have been such a high level that they had additional DR (something Daemon mentioned recently when asked about companion level ups). So the standard calculation I did wouldn't add up. The confusing bit was that all other calculations did. However, checking again I realized that “all other calculations” were Laser, Plasma and Explosion damage (aha!). So Living Anatomy adds the 5 points of damage just fine, if including the “invisible DR” of the companions. At least, I think that's what it was.